Thursday, September 25, 2008

CCD Class Three Readings

First Reading -- Gn. 1:1-4, 26-28. In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss, while a mighty wind swept over the waters. Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. [On the sixth day], God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. . . ."
God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them.
God blessed them, saying: "Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all the living things that move on the earth."
Gn. 2:7; 18-25 [The] LORD God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being. * * * The LORD God said: "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him" * * * but none [of the animals or birds] proved to be the suitable partner for the man. So the LORD God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. The LORD God then built up into a woman the rib that he had taken from the man. When he brought her to the man, the man said: "This one, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; This one shall be called 'woman,' for out of 'her man' this one has been taken."
Ex. 3:13-15 Moses [asked] God, "when I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' if they ask me, 'What is his name?' what am I to tell them?" God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you." God spoke further to Moses, "Thus shall you say to the Israelites: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. "This is my name forever; this is my title for all generations.

Second Reading -- 1 John 1:5-6; 2:20, 27; 3:11-14; 4:7-8, 16-17. God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. . . . You have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. . . . the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him. . . . This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. . . . Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death. . . . Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. . . . God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us.

Third Reading -- Jn. 1:1-5; 14:6, 15-17; 15:9, 12. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. * * * Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. . . . If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. . . . As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. . . . This is my commandment: Love one another as I have loved you.”
.

No comments: